This is a simple dressed up box cake mix. The secret ingredients are almond extract and buttermilk. They are super simple to make and will wow your guests. I like to call them wedding cupcake because they taste like wedding cake.
Basic White Cupcakes
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
Place paper muffin cups into 2 cupcake pans (recipe will yield appx. 24 cupcakes)
1 (18.25-oz) box of white cake mix with pudding (any will work, but Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic White Cake Mix is what I usually use)
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (I use full fat buttermilk)
1/4 cups butter melted (melt in microwave and cool for a few minutes)
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract (sometimes I put a tad more- but be careful not to overdo it.
Beat all ingredients together at low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes until batter is smooth, stopping to scrape bowl as needed. It's important to use a Kitchen Aid mix or electric hand mixer to get the cupcakes nice and fluffy. If you hand mix the ingredients, the recipe will yield appx. 17-20 cupcakes.
Spoon batter into cups, filling each appx. two thirds full.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove cupcakes and cool 1 hour or until completely cool before frosting.
Super Yummy Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter softened
1 (3-oz) pkg cream cheese (this is the smaller package)
1 (16-oz) package of powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk (I used whole since I had some on hand)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 - 1 tsp. almond extract
Beat Butter and cream cheese on medium speed with electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Increase speed to medium and slowly add milk, vanilla and almond extract, beating until smooth.
For variations try the following:
Coconut -Prepare as directed substituting 1/4 cup cream of coconut for milk then top frosted cupcakes with sweetened coconut.
Georgia Peach version (this is way better than it sounds)
1 large fresh peach
3/4 cup butter softened
1 32oz powdered sugar
Process peach in blander or food processor (should measure 1/2 cup)
Beat butter on medium speed until creamy gradually add peach and sugar beating well after each addition. There will be lots of leftover frosting :)
The original recipes were from Southern Living 3/07 and 6/08 by way of my great friend Kelli who is a fabulous cook and always inspires me. I've adapted them a bit with the almond extract in the frosting. We like to call these cupcakes "girls date night cupcakes" since that's when we first made them on 9/22/07.
Enjoy!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment